Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Experiment with this recipe by trying other berries or fruits and different combinations of seeds. (If you decide to skip the rhubarb and use all berries, you can cut down on the sugar.) Serve warm with a drizzle of Greek yogurt or a scoop of ice cream.
MAKES SIX SERVINGS
- 3 cups hulled and halved strawberries
- 2 cups trimmed and chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. potato starch
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (or a combination of sunflower, hemp, pumpkin, sesame, and chia)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, brown rice flakes, or quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup whole golden flaxseeds
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss together the fruit, sugar, and potato starch in a 1-quart baking dish. Blend the sunflower seeds with the maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor until smooth. Pulse in the rolled oats and flaxseeds. Crumble the seed topping over the fruit and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until filling is bubbling and the topping is browned.
*This article was originally published in Experience Life Magazine at www.experiencelife.com