FOODIE FRIDAY | Spiced Green Beans With Tomatoes
Turn this Meditteranean-inspired dish into a meal with the addition of fried eggs.
You can find variations of this recipe all over the Middle East and Mediterranean. Often served as a side, it can be transformed into a main dish with the addition of fried eggs.
MAKES FOUR TO SIX SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 10 to 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 medium red or white onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ to ½ tsp. dried red-pepper flakes, to taste
- ¾ lb. flat, runner, or French green beans, trimmed
- 1½ cups roughly chopped tomatoes
- 2 heaping tbs. tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Cook the onion in oil in a large frying pan over low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red-pepper flakes, and continue to cook for another two minutes. Then add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, ½ cup water, and seasoning. Partially cover with a lid and cook until the beans are soft. Depending on their size, this will take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and add more seasoning or red-pepper flakes as necessary. Squeeze in a little lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This article was originally published in Experience Life Magazine, posted here: https://experiencelife.com/recipe/spiced-green-beans-with-tomatoes/